Thursday, January 24, 2008

A fallen wall

I know it won't last, but watching the pictures of Palestinians walking over the wall to enter Egypt thrilled me. The situation in Gaza has gotten so dreadful. Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said that he would not let the blockade of the Gaza Strip "turn into a humanitarian crisis," but I can't imagine what his definition of a crisis is. How much suffering and death does there need to be before he thinks it is a "crisis?" People are cold, hungry, sitting in the dark and dying for lack of medicines and access to health care, and he doesn't think it is a crisis?


3 comments:

Halla said...

And the world is clueless!!

fjb said...

Greetings from Canada. I just found your blog via link, and it's wonderful. I can't imagine living like you have, with walls and obvious segregation. It disgusts me, and though I've attempted over the years to become a more gracious, tolerant human being, the oppression placed on the people of Palestine by Israel is intolerable.

Even my mother, who had her own personal experiences with extreme hate and intolerance in Europe as a girl, has stopped making reference to "Poor Israel" whenever a rocket is launched from the Palestinian side.

alajnabiya said...

Thanks Halla and fjb for visiting my little blog.

You won't ever catch me saying "poor Israel" anymore either, but many times I think "poor Israelis!" Poor Israeli kids that were born into this conflict, poor people that have been misled and misrepresented by their leadership. I feel sorry for the kids of Sderot, whose parents brought them up on land that was taken by force in 1948. I hope one day that they realize that the people shooting rockets at them from Gaza are the children of the people who owned the land they are now living on.

( see http://umkahlil.blogspot.com/2006/06/sderot-built-on-ashes-of-ethnically.html and http://www.palestineremembered.com/Gaza/Najd/ for more info on the land Sderot was built on)