Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Is it too late for an American overseas to register to vote?

If you are an American living overseas, how can you vote in this November's presidential election? I heard about this site yesterday on NPR, and looked at it today. You can fill out the forms to register and request an absentee ballot online and then print them out. Some states will allow you to email them, but you have to look up each state's rules. I was last living in California, which allows you to fax them as long as you also mail the signed forms. If your ballot does not arrive on time, there is also a way to print out a Federal write in absentee ballot, provided you register first. Honestly, I wasn't going to bother to vote, but this business about McCain supporters sending out 28 million copies of a right-wing, terror propaganda DVD titled Obsession: Radical Islam's War Against the West has me mad.

The site is called Overseas Vote Foundation and here is a video explaining it all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Assalaamu alaikum my sister in WEST BANK!

I have to confess that I am not all that au fait on American politics but I was listening to the lovely Sarah Palin being interviewed and heard her comments about the US and Israel... is Obama (and whoever his team mate is) a viable alternative for someone with interests in Palestine? Or would any US leader pander to the Israeli governement anyway?

alajnabiya said...

Obama seems as willing to kiss Israeli *deleted* as McCain. In his address to the pro Israel lobby group AIPAC, he even said he was against dividing Jerusalem, which he sort of backtracked on after, saying that if Israel decided to do it it would be ok with him. I wrote about it here. But the direction the Republican party has been taking things the last 8 years seriously scares me to death. So it's a vote for the lesser of 2 evils I guess.

Anonymous said...

Assalaamu alaikum,

As I thought then even with my limited undestanding of US politics. Thanks for answering. :-)

Susie of Arabia said...

Thanks so much for providing this info. I was just wondering about whether it was too late for me to absentee vote, and POOF! there was your post. Were you reading my mind???

alajnabiya said...

Assalaamu 'alaikum Susie! Not reading your mind, I just heard about it on NPR and was getting disgusted with all the nonsense I was hearing. Honestly, Palin has what, 23 months experience as a governor, is already being investigated for possible misuse of power, has no international experience and keeps telling us she "said thanks, but no thanks" even though they TOOK the darn money, and she HAD supported the "bridge to nowhere" at first. McCain seems to think that American women are so stupid that just putting a woman on the ticket is enough, no matter what her qualifications are. Even the league of woman voters has endorsed the other guys. And then this pro McCain group goes and sends out "Obsession" en mass. No one will admit who paid for them to be sent out. Then don't even get me started on the fiscal crisis. It's not that I trust the democrats, but I am terrified of 4 more years of the republicans running things!

But if you are going to register, you really have to hurry and maybe even pay the extra money to FedEx it, which I cannot afford.

Susie of Arabia said...

I am registered to vote already, so I think I'll be able to swing it. I feel the same way about Palin. I'm going to forward you some emails I got about her.