Sunday, December 9, 2007

"Change cast in concrete"

This New York Times article illustrates the situation we are in with the wall. There is a video with the article that even shows our neighborhood. I wish I could embed the video here, but I don't know how to do it when it is from the New York Times.

The video explains that it is all to protect Israel from terrorism. Of course they don't mention that if a strong, able bodied terrorist wanted to get around the barriers, he probably still can. People do it every day, as explained in Lawrence of Cyberia's great post
One Thousand, Two Hundred And Seventy-Six People Per Week. (I also have no clue how the "trackback"stuff works. I am such a newb!) But it sure makes life hell for average men, women and children who just want to go to work or school, or even visit with their families. Oh, and they also have a guy from a settlement explaining how they need the wall to protect them because the communities are so close. No mention of how the settlement itself is illegal.

I guess now is an appropriate time to mention that I think that the suicide bombings of buses and shopping malls are immoral, and I am glad they aren't happening anymore. But I seriously don't think that the wall is going to make Israelis any safer in the long run. They might say "Good fences make good neighbors," but not when you build the fence through your neighbor's front lawn!

2 comments:

UmmFarouq said...

Assalamu Alaikum Neighbor across the way!

Congratulations on launching your blog and I'll add you to my blogroll, as to put pressure on you to write a lot! :)

Gonna reply to your email this evening inshaAllah. Take care.

alajnabiya said...

Wa 'alaikum assalaam!

Thank you. Woo hoo! I have a reader.