Thursday, May 8, 2008

the queen of procrastination

I am the queen of procrastination. I have so many ideas to blog about, but I never get it done. I plan the post in my mind as I am going through my boring day, take the pictures and prepare them to post, but then I stop. I read my favorite blogs, I follow link after link, I look and look at other people's creativity, I OD on news, but I postpone doing my own writing. I was like this in school too. I loved doing research, and I usually got very good grades on my writing, but it was torture to get my self to sit down and do the actual writing. My husband would say that writing this blog is just my way of procrastinating when I ought to be doing the laundry, dishes, scrubbing floors or one of the million other dull duties that bore me to death. So I am actually procrastinating at my procrastination!

Time just seems to rush by me, and I am always wondering how did it get this late and how did I get so old already. When the first wildflowers bloomed this year, my youngest would occasionally bring me home little bouquets he picked as he walked through he fields on his way from school. My kids all know how much I love these flowers, and they all used to bring me hands full. I used to have a collection of tiny vases I saved for them. But now it is only my youngest who sees a flower and thinks he has to bring it for Mama. I wonder if he will next year? He just turned 12 in March. I planned to post a picture of the cake I made for him then, but it has been sitting, waiting on my hard drive for over a month. I tried to make it special, since it was the last little kid birthday. He will be a teenager next year. No more babies, they are all young men and women. My baby is going to be a teenager, my oldest should graduate from college next year, my older daughter is getting married in the fall, and my younger daughter is about to graduate from high school, INSHAALLAH.

Last month a friend of mine came for a visit to the West Bank. Holly and I met online years ago, and in person once about 8 years ago. This was the first time I had seen her and her son since then. MashaAllah, he is a little older than my youngest son, but it was a shock to see that he was a young man now with a deeper voice and a big thick novel to read, instead of the hyper little boy of 8 years ago. We sat in the Star's and Buck's cafe in Ramallah, and talked over all the ways our lives differed. I loved it, and hope it won't be another 8 years before we see each other again. I should have taken a picture or two of that cafe, it really was a nice place. We sat by a window overlooking the manara, the central "square" in Ramallah. (It's always called Manara square, but it's a circle!) I took one picture of the manara out the window, because it looked so nice and clean. Not only had they finally taken the Christmas decorations down (which I am sure were still up at the end of February), but someone had scrubbed off the election posters the had been slapped all over it almost two years ago. I guess I am not the only one who takes a while to get around to doing things.
"Gaza 'ala bali - Gaza on my mind"

2 comments:

UmmFarouq said...

I love the "Star's and Buck's" coffee shop! At least you know it's not Yahudi owned.

As for procrastination, if you are the queen of it, I am the princess. But I need this blog, and I think you do, too. And hopefully, inshaAllah, we'll meet this summer when I make it to Palestine. :)

Loved that soccer cake. I need to do a baseball one (Farouq's new love) for my son.

Anonymous said...

I must admit I am also a member of the Procrastination Club! You and Umm Farouq are not alone. I am terrible about it!
How wonderful that you were able to get together with your old friend and have such a lovely time together after all these years.